Thursday, April 24, 2008

Don't Big Women Go to the Beach?

My friends and I are going on the trip to the beach this weekend, and I have nothing to wear.

I'm the largest that I've ever been in a long time, and anyone who has been in this yoyo life will understand when I say with conviction that I really have nothing to wear.

I've always loved the beach, and it's one of those things I've tried my best not to let my size take away from me. I could be self-conscious everywhere else, but when there's sun, sea, and sand involved, I ironically lose all my qualms about my body. I'm going swimming in swim attire, and that's that.

Unfortunately, everyone else in Manila seems to think that fat women don't like going to the beach - or that we shouldn't even think of going to the beach.

Why do I say this? Because I cannot find anything to wear! There's nothing to be bought. Even in plus-size stores. Especially in plus-size stores! It's the height of summer, and not a pair of board shorts or cover up in sight.

Then again, what to expect from a country where clothings stores carry 2XS and hardly go above XL in sizing?

No, not all the big women are already mommies who are interested in big prints and capri pants. There are some of us here trying to live a normal life.

*sigh* I have nothing to wear.

0 comments: